Welcome to our Riso Studio. Our studio can print your posters, flyers, wedding stationery or anything you can create up to A3 in size on our Riso MZ1070e two-drum printer. We have 14 soy based inks and a great selection of paper and card up to 300gsm.
If you are looking for some inspiration or if you want to get an idea of how different inks look on different paper, visit our Riso gallery where we showcase a selection of both customer and in-house print. We regularly update this gallery so we recommend you bookmark it if you love print as much as we do!
Our available inks
We offer up to 4-colour printing from our range of 14 inks
What is Risography?
Risography is a specialist method of printing created in Japan. Akin to Screen Printing and Offset Lithography, A Riso printer is a stencil duplicator that was originally developed for high volume printing. It has since been adopted by artists and designers for it’s exciting and sometimes unpredictable results.
How it works
Sending your file
Email your artwork to firstname.lastname@example.org, or if your files are larger than 10mb please send them to email@example.com via Wetransfer. Please ensure your file is:
1. Flattened PDF (no layers or transparencies or effects)
2. Set to Greyscale / B&W
3. Resolution = 300dpi at A3
4. Each colour layer saved as a separate file.
5. Each PDF's printable area is no bigger than 400mm x 277mm
6. Make sure you are happy with the black level for how much ink/how dark each layer needs to be (shades may fluctuate throughout the print run).
7. Include a reference file set at the exact same size, resolution as the print files, please note: we do not colour match these and only use them to see the alignment.
We only trim down to A sizes, essentially cutting the sheet in half. Any other size will need to be done by yourself.
Biggest we can print onto is A3, however, the printable area is smaller than A3 (400mm x 277mm)
Please provide separate black/greyscale files for your different colours
Outline all fonts or flatten your separate layers
If possible provide a visual of how you would like your print to look
We can print up to A3 in weights 80-250gsm. We can print up to A4 in weights 260-300gsm
• Remember to name the ink you would like used in your file name or as the layers of your file.
• Be specific about how many prints you would like
• Be specific about what paper/card stock you would like
• Specify whether you would like to collect your prints or have them delivered (Express Delivery only)
How We Calculate Our Prices
If your artwork is smaller than A3, we try and tile as many prints as we can on an A3 sheet. We can cut your prints to any size. There is a 5mm print border around an A3 sheet, we might not always be able to tile full bleed artwork.
The setup charge accounts for our technician’s time and any extra paper and ink used in correcting registration
You can select from our range or you can supply your own stock up to 300gsm
A master is the sheet that your artwork is burned onto as a stencil
A pass counts as 1 layer of ink on your page
This mode that creates a smooth grain effect between transparencies of colour. This is our default printing style.
Factors to Consider
Here are some factors to consider when thinking about getting your work Riso printed:
Riso uses Soy inks that never fully dry. There is a risk of smudging with a lot of contact
Every print is individual and aligning colours may vary especially when printing with three or more colours
When printing with three or more colours, small horizontal roller marks may appear on the top centre area of your print
Full colour images can be split into 1, 2, 3 or 4 colours on the Riso. If you are unsure what results you would like or need assistance in preparing your files please get in touch and we can recommend the best route for you.